Re: problems with running remote X programs

on Fri, Jun 14, 2002, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:21:59PM +0100, Matthew Yee-King wrote:
> > I'm running gdm, windowmaker, woody and xfree 4.2. i need to run
> > software on a remote mahcine that outputs to my local X server. On the
> > remote machine, i export DISPLAY="mylocalIP:0" then on my local
> > machine, i xhost <memote machineIP> . but it doesn't work - on the
> > remote machine i get the error
> >
> > Error: Can't open display: <mylocalIP>:0
> >
> > is the xserver really locked down by default on debian or something?
>
> Yes. Remove '-nolisten tcp' from whatever starts your X server if you

Don't do that.  It's there for a reason.  X11 is an insecure,
unauthenticated, protocol.  Use other means (ssh with X11 forwarding) to
tunnel it remotely if necessary.  If you're gaming, run the game on your
local box.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/