Re: Recover root password

on Wed, Jun 12, 2002, Patrick Wiseman (pwiseman@mindspring.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Antonio Mu?oz-Flores wrote:
>
> > Is there something I can do to recover the root password or for logging
> > as the root user without having to reinstall Debian?
>
> If you didn't create a bootdisk when you installed, download tomsrtbt from
>
> http://www.toms.net/rb/
>
> and create a bootdisk.  (It's a useful thing to have around anyway.)

TRB won't mount recent ext2fs filesystems, nor can it deal with
reiserfs, with its default kernel.

Better:

  - Boot system.
  - At LILO prompt:  linux init=/bin/bash
  - Wait for boot process to complete.
  - You have a shell.  You're root.  Either set root's password, or edit
    the /etc/shadow file, and delete the second colon (':') delimited
    field.

Reboot normally.  Set your root password if necessary.

GRUB instructions differ.

Peace.

   GNU/Linux web browsing mini review:  Galeon.  Kicks ass.
     http://galeon.sourceforge.org/