Help with cdrecord

I'm having trouble with gcombust / cdrecord.  I have a Plextor 4X CDR on
the scsi bus.  I run a test burn and it fails, probably because I'm
trying to burn from a network (smb) share.  I'll try making the iso
first next time.  Anyway, when it fails the drive is "locked", it will
not eject, and cdrecord can't eject or reset the drive.  It also won't
recognise it as a cdr anymore, it says it's a cdrom.  The only way I can
fix it is to reboot.  How do I reset / unlock the drive?

Brian