Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:51:17PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

| I figured out the floppy boot for memtest86.bin.  It's running now (wall
| time == 1:12:24 elapsed).
| I am currently on test #7 of ??? and have no errors.  I assume that it's
| at least nothing obviously wrong with the RAM.

memtest86 runs forever (until you stop it).  You determine when you
think it's run long enough to elminate the possibility/probability of
errors.

| The failure during boot is where the VFS fails to find the device at the
| address/location specified.

How about double-checking lilo's config that the root= parameter is
correct.  Are you trying to boot the exact same kernel as before?  If
not, do you have the disk controller compiled in or loaded from the
initrd?

HTH,
-D

--

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout
is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.

Jabber ID : dman@dman.ddts.net