Re: RAM upgrade == Kernel Panic

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:59:14PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> >Have you tested the new memory?  Memtest86 is a great tool for doing just
> >this.
>
> I can't get it to boot in order to test it.
> I was assuming that since it was detected and was able to start booting
> from /dev/hda that it was in part, OK.
> It also boots from the Debian Installation CD.  Does that CD have memtest86?

You don't need to be running linux in order to run it. You just download
it, compile it (from memory, it's been a while) and dump it onto a
floppy. Then reboot, boot from the floppy and if it boots fine,
shutdown, put the new ram in, boot from the floppy again and let it rip.
Be prepared to do life-like things while it's doing the test. It can
take ages depending on the settings.

--
CORUSCANT-Presiding over a memorial service commemorating the victims
of the attack on the Death Star, the Emperor declared that while recent