Re: Time(zone) problems

"Mike Mimic" <ppagee@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Hmm. The only other thing I can think of is the
> > setting in /etc/login.defs. ENV_TZ is typically
> > commented out though. If it's not you might try
> > commenting it out, although I would think root
> > would be affected if that variable were set. The
> > root account doesn't have any TZ environment
> > variables set, right?
>
> No, there isn't set any variable.
>
> And I have set the ENV_TZ but it doesn't work
> (should I restart anything after changing
> login.defs?).
>
> But if I set TZ variable manualy date reports correct
> time.
>
> > The other thing to try is to create a new user
> > account, using "adduser", and see if that account
> > has the same problem. That might narrow the
> > possibilities somewhat.
> I have asked other users and they have same problem.
>
> Hm, so I still don't know what's wrong but TZ varible
> solves the problem. But is there anything else to try
> because I would like to find out what is wrong.

I'm sure there's more you could try, since something is obviously
wrong, I'm running low on ideas though. All the time info comes from
libc6. The only other thing I can think of that could be relevant:

          % ls -l /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime
          lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 May 16 11:16          /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime -> /etc/localtime

          % ls -l /etc/localtime
          lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 May 16 11:16          /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/MST7MDT

          % ls -l /usr/share/zoneinfo/MST7MDT
          -rw-r--r--    6 root     root          877 Apr 28 03:56          /usr/share/zoneinfo/MST7MDT

Make sure the owner/permissions on the two links and the file are as
given above, and that /etc/localtime points to the correct zoneinfo
file for your time zone (mine is MST7MDT). Also, make sure you as a
user can read those files. As a user try:

        % cat /etc/localtime > /dev/null

You should *NOT* get a "Permission denied" message. If you do that'd
be your problem.

I'm not sure how those zoneinfo files get generated but maybe yours
got corrupted, if all of the above is ok. You could try, in order:

        1) dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low libc6

        2) Extracting the appropriate zoneinfo file from the libc6
        package and overwriting your existing file

        3) A full-blown reinstallation of libc6, e.g., get the
        libc6*.deb file that you have installed and do
        "dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5-6_i386.deb" (that's the version of libc6
        on my system. It's location on the debian mirrors is:
               /debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.5-6_i386.deb

If none of that works I'm afraid I've run out of ideas.

Gary