Re: https and ssl in Konqueror Browser

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:44:51 +1200
"arthur_dent" <arthur_dent@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm running Woody 3.0 and want to use Konqueror Browser to access the
> Hotmail and my Bank.
> Whenver I try to access either I get a message that my build of
> Konqueror does not support the https protocol.
>
> I tried(as suggested on this list) to install the kdebase-crypto
> package and this does not help though it says it has all manner of
> security/ encryption protocols now installed.
This is strange, it worked for me. But what do you mean by 'it says...'.

> I went searching Google and found a link that suggests to get https
> support for Konqueror go to the Sun Microsystems site and download a
> zipped archive called jsse-1_0_3-gl.zip , unzip it then install the 3
> files created from the unzip, into a directory called "
This shouldn't be necessary... Although it's nice to have java around (I
need it for my bank things), you can add
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian/
to your /etc/apt/sources.list (see man apt) and 'apt-get j2re1.3' which
includes a plugin for netscape and mozilla (that works with konqueror).
You'll have to configure konq though (see settings >> configure konq >>
netscape plugins).

> says..... As root ,create a dir under /usr/local/src and change the
> owner of that directory to your normal non root account.....but he/she
For this see 'man chmod'

> doesn't say how to do this.  I really wish to use this O/S ,is there a
> decent book on Debian Linux, ie how to do common tasks once the system
> is installed? I brought a huge 1000+ page book on linux that says how
I think you really want to go to http://www.ibiblio.org/Linux/ there's a
huge amount of info there, not always up-to-date, but good enough. I
think there is also some 'guides' on really basic stuff. And of course
you'll have to know the following commands: 'man' is useful to find out
the syntax of commands and 'apropos' to find them in the first place
(see man apropos;). On debian systems you'll have to know about apt-get
and dpkg (but I think you met them already), and apt-cache to find
useful things you haven't installed yet.

> to do some things..say it will say "using linuxconf do so and so" ,
> but linuxconf is not installed on my system and from reading on the
> net its supposedly pretty insecure so I dont wish to install it..
You indeed don't want to install that...

> Thanks for any advise.

No thanks

Tim