Re: nVidia users help needed

    Geoffrey> I have the same problem. Here's a quote from the
    Geoffrey> xscreensaver FAQ:

    Geoffrey> ---snip--- Try editing your .xscreensaver file and
    Geoffrey> changing the memoryLimit setting to 0.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it ASAP.

    Geoffrey> However, apparently certain OpenGL libraries (notably
    Geoffrey> nVidia) do something strange that makes them appear to
    Geoffrey> allocate more than 128M of memory for every OpenGL
    Geoffrey> program! Consequently, those programs die on startup
    Geoffrey> because they aren't able to allocate memory.

Weird. I thought using hardware acceleration would decrease it, not
increase it...

    Geoffrey> ---snip--- I can reproduce this here, but only when
    Geoffrey> using nVidia's GLX libraries. Unfortunately, nVidia
    Geoffrey> can't play nice with everyone else who's writing GLX
    Geoffrey> implementations for Linux. So, if you really want things
    Geoffrey> to work, you'll either have to convince nVidia to do
    Geoffrey> something right, or download the source and compile your
    Geoffrey> own. Sorry.  ---pins---

    Geoffrey> Sigh... The joys of closed-source drivers...

Is the any chance in a future of an open source driver, ie.
independent of nVidia's implementation?

All so, some thing else I found strange: The kernel module is still
getting used despite the fact I have rebooted and loaded X with the
standard nv driver. What loads the kernel module?

NVdriver              658880   2 (autoclean)

    Geoffrey> I don't recognize the name, but I'll bet anything that
    Geoffrey> has something to do with 3Dfx video cards (Voodoo and
    Geoffrey> its successors), in which case you certainly don't need
    Geoffrey> it unless you have a 3Dfx card installed. Where did you
    Geoffrey> see that?

pluto:~# dpkg -s device3dfx-source
Package: device3dfx-source
 This package is the source for the 3Dfx device driver to allow access
 to 3Dfx boards without the user having root privileges.  It should
 work on 2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3/2.4 kernels and set the MTRR settings
 correctly.  It should also work with SMP kernels (2.1/2.2/2.3/2.4).

    johanc> I have experienced the same problem on a RIVATNT2
    johanc> delivered on a Dell station, except I had green/black
    johanc> stripes.

    johanc> If I don't remember wrong I think I found the solution in
    johanc> the README's from nvidia.

In hindsight, I didn't reboot after disabling AGP.

Perhaps that was the problem.

    johanc> Johan, who got rid of it but can't remember how.

Do you have any of these in your XF86Config-4 file?

         Option "NvAgp" "0"  ... disables AGP support
         Option "NvAgp" "1"  ... use NVAGP, if possible
         Option "NvAgp" "2"  ... use AGPGART, if possible

I think 1 is the default.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>