Re: minor problems with new emacs21 installation

Replying to my own message...

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> I just compiled and installed (for potato) the emacs 21 prerelaease
> sources (21.0.104.2) provided by Takuo Kitame. Previous to this, I was
> using emacs 20.7.
>
> I am experiencing some minor problems.
>
> 1) Global font lock mode does not work unless I switch it off and switch
> it on again. I had to install Auctex 10 to get it working it at all.

It appears that I have to turn on global font lock exlicitly.

;;Turn on global font lock mode
(global-font-lock-mode 1)

I was a bit confused by the fact that emacs already thinks it is turned
on. When I was starting it up previously, and doing Mx
global-font-lock-mode, it was toggling it off. Also in the options menu
bar, it was listed as on. This might count as a bug. Does anyone have
opinions as to whether I should report it or not? It doesn't seem like a
very sbutle one, if it *is* a bug.

> 2) It can't find the info dir. This can probably be easily fixed, but why
> is it not working out of the box?

I'm an idiot. I had set INFOPATH in my .bashrc and forgot about
it. Removing this made everything Ok.

> 3) M-x R locks up emacs 21. I've never seen anything do this before. This
> command uses ESS to start up R. It is unlikely that someone else who is
> reading this is using ESS, R and emacs 21, but I thought it worth
> mentioning. I probably need to take this to the ESS mailing list.

This still seems to be a problem. I will have to address this to the
specific forum, I think.

                                  Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.