Only binaries?

Hello All,

I am very new to the debian distribution.  I have bought the Debian 2.2
distribution which contains
three CDs.

When I read the README.html file of all the three CDs it says that each of
them is labeled as

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 "Potato" - Official i386 Binary-1
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 "Potato" - Official i386 Binary-2
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 "Potato" - Official i386 Binary-3

Does this mean that only binaries are distributed in the CDs?   I was
looking for the kernel sources and its not available in /usr/src.  When I
looked in the CDs I felt like a person lost in some maze.

BTW,  what does this "Potato" signify?  Is it like each distribution release
will have such a name and that
saying "Potato" release will mean 2.2 r0?  Or is there any other
significance for this?

Thank you all for your time.

Cheers,
anna