debian install problem with scsi

I have been trying to install debain 2.2.3 on to a
machine with a 29160 scsi card an IBM 18gig ultra160
harddrive and a quantum 18gig SCA ultra160 with a
80-pin to 68-pin converter.

If I remove the quantum from the machine debian loads
fine.  If I leave it in, it times out and says it is
going to try harder over and over again before it gets
to the first blue install screen.

Any ideas, Besides leaving the quantum out of the
system?

RB Bruce