Re: Disk change detected on device

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 04:56:13 M.PITZL@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting this message from time to time on my server:
> kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
> kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device fd(2,0)
> But i am sure that there are no disks neither inside the floppy nor
> inside
> the cdrom.
> No one is working locally on this machine.
> Also i get a "modprobe: can't locate module block-major-3"-message in my
> logs.
> I have no idea why this messages appear.
> About the system:
> -Pentium II 266 MHz
> -64 MB RAM
> -Intel 82557 Network adapter
> -Compaq Netflex 3 network adapter
> -3Com 3C905B 100bTx network adapter
> -Adaptec AIC7881-U
> -SCSI-Disk
> -Matrox Millenium graphics adapter
> -MATSHITA CR-583 CD-ROM
>
> Has anyone an idea, whats wrong here?
> The system runs very well, but these messages seems a bit strange to me
> because i am sure, no one is using the floppy and/or the cdrom.
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>
> --
> GMXler aufgepasst - jetzt viele 1&1 New WebHosting Pakete ohne
> Einrichtungsgebuehr + 1 Monat Grundgebuehrbefreiung!
> http://puretec.de/index.html?ac=OM.PU.PU003K00717T0492a
>

> --

I'm assuming these messages come from dmesg?  If they just appear on the
screen at random, something strange is going on, bu seeing it in dmesg just
means they were mounted or unmounted, AFAIK - not necessarily now but at
some time in the past.
As for the "modprobe: can't locate module block-major-3" error, check
/etc/modutils/aliases - that has a list of what modules control what.

Good luck,
Steve