Re: install dpkg without dpkg

On Thursday 26 July 2001 18:48, Miguel Griffa wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I posted a similar msg few days ago, and having no response, I reformule
> :)
>
> My woody system got severrr FS damage, and lots of binaries are broken
> (including  apt, dpkg...)
> how can I install dpkg and apt ?
> also, how can I reinstall all installed packages?

Just some thoughts, not really concrete, but probably it helps:

Try to get some statically linked versions of dpkg, usually installation cd's
have some (-> Read the install file). Perhaps you can build static versions
yourshelf.

Extract it on another (working) installation (dpkg -x ......), and just copy
the executables to the damaged one.

It is possible that a clean reinstall (after backing up configuraion files)
is much less work, then reinstalling everything on this broken system.

Daniel

Daniel Faller
Fakultaet fuer Physik
Abt. Honerkamp