Re: netscape 4.76 freezes

on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 03:43:45AM -0400, xk035@netscape.net (xk035@netscape.net) wrote:
> hi *
>
> i'm running debian gnu/linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.19 on a
  ^

You'll find shift keys conveniently located at the far left and right of
your keyboard.  Use them.

> - dual pIII/667MHz
> - i82555 ether express pro/100 onboard lan controller
> - 128MB ram
>
> i have xf86 with icewm as window manager. i'm using netscape 4.76
> browser. the machine is connectet to my masq-router running ipchains
> to reach the internet.
>
> now the problem: every now and then (i REALLY dont know at what
> specific actions) netscape freezes up my machine.

Hmm...Freezes your machine?  Odd.

My first advice is to find a different browser.  Netscape simply sucks,
and has for years.  There's been some mild improvement of late, but it's
far past time to bury the beast.  Try Galeon, Konqueror, or Mozilla, or
take a look at other recommendations at

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html

> i cannot do anything but switch off and let fsck do its magic.

Why don't you describe what else you've tried, e.g.:

  - Window-manager actions on the window.
  - <ctrl><alt><Fn>, where '<Fn>' is one of the function keys 1-6, to
    switch to another virtual terminal.
  - Magic-Alt-Sysrq kernel signals.
  - Remotely access your system from another box, via network.
  - Access your box via serial console (a Palm Pilot will do in a pinch,
    with appropriate terminal emulo software).

It might also be helpful for you to specify:

  - Your video card.
  - Your window manager.
  - Any appropriate log messages from:
     /var/log/XFree86.n.log
     /var/log/messages
     /var/log/syslog
     ...other X output.

> has anyone of you experienced this also?

Hard lockups due to apps are rare.  Lockups due to video/X problems are
not uncommon.  It's also possible that there are other problems you're
overlooking, which may become apparent by more careful perusal of system
logs (they're there for a reason).

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!