Re: dpkg post-removal error

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:35:43PM -0500, lance@augustmail.com wrote:
> I am having problems with dpkg on a potato dist.
> I keep getting
>
> serious warning: files list file for package 'foo' missing, assuming package
> has no file currrently installed.
>
> Also, when I dkpg -i for a couple of packages I get
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 139

It looks like your filesystem got damaged and as a result, it left
dpkg's administrative database in a bad state.

What does "dpkg --audit" tell you?

You could try (it is rather blunt though):

  allpkgs=$( dpkg --get-selections "*" | awk '/install$/ {print $1}' )
  apt-get update
  for pkg in $allpkgs; do
    apt-get install --reinstall $pkg
  done