Re: su doesn't work; root cannot log in! Arrgggg

If you run sid, I recommend that you subscribe to debian-devel.  There
has been a lot of discussion recently on PAM problems following a
recent upgrade, which looks like what is happening in your case.  I
believe that new packages in /incoming correct the problem.

Bob