Re: Build a new Kernel

> Hello,
>
> How can I build a new kernel? Where is the source?
>
> Thanks
>
> Juan José Velázquez Garcia
> Web Development
> www.htmlspider.com.br

One way is to by using the kernel-package deb.

Script started on Wed Jun 27 03:20:33 2001
[03:20:34 tmp]$ grep-available -PX kernel-package
Package: kernel-package
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 744
Maintainer: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 7.43
Depends: perl5, dpkg (>= 1.4), dpkg-dev (>= 1.4.0.9), fileutils (>= 4.0)
Recommends: libc-dev, gcc, debianutils, make
Suggests: kernel-source, libdb3-dev, libncurses-dev
Filename: pool/main/k/kernel-package/kernel-package_7.43_all.deb
Size: 180642
MD5sum: 27d2338a0a95acd8dee594fc0131dd2a
 This package provides the capability to create a debian kernel-image
 package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a kernel source
 directory tree.  It can also package the relevant kernel headers into
 a kernel-headers package. In general, this package is very useful if
 you need to create a custom kernel, if, for example, the default
 kernel does not support some of your hardware, or you wish a leaner,
 meaner kernel.  It also scripts the steps that need be taken to
 compile the kernel, which is quite convenient (forgetting a crucial
 step once was the initial motivation for this package). Please look at
 /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/Rationale.gz for a full list of advantages
 of this package.
 .
 If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
 custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
 need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other platforms).

[03:21:06 tmp]$ exit
exit

Script done on Wed Jun 27 03:21:21 2001

/usr/share/doc/kernel-package has detailed instruction on building and
installing a new kernel.

As for the kernel source, you might search for kernel-source* in
http;//packages.debian.org