Exim and *outgoing* AUTH?

Greetings-

Telocity, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to use SMTP AUTH instead of
originating IP to verify SMTP clients. This presents problems for me,
since I have exim pointing at smtp.telocity.com. Furthermore, it doesn't
reject messages outright (that would be too simple and
standards-based).  Instead, it just accepts them and silently eats them,
so I didn't know until I innocently asked my father-in-law if he'd
received a message I sent him. Arrgh.  Anyway....

Is there a way to configure exim (running in smarthost mode) to use SMTP
AUTH for outgoing mail? I'm currently running:

nujoma:/var/log/exim# exim -bV
Exim version 3.12 #1 built 08-Jun-2001 14:21:07
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 1999

but would be perfectly happy to run a different version if
necessary. Everything can be authenticated using my Telocity ID,
regardless of what local user it's coming from.

<rant>
Why can't a single reasonably-priced DSL service seem go get it
right? There are perfectly good internet standards for dealing with these
sorts of things, and they feel they have to reinvent the wheel -- and
make it square to boot!
</rant>

   Andrew J. Perrin - Assistant Professor of Sociology
        University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
269 Hamilton Hall CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
   andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin