client-server backup using NFS and tar

Hi all,

I wish to set up a client to backup to a standard tape
drive (/dev/st0) on the server. Using tar. I really don't
want to have to resort to using a commercial product or
something like amanda for simplicity reasons.

Now, as I understand it, tar when used in this situation
writes directly to the tape device - the tape is not
'mounted' as such as it has no filesystem. So does that
mean I need to export the entire server /dev/ via NFS to
allow the tar process on the client to write to the device?
I would rather not as that would seem a little in secure.
Can I copy the device node from dev to another directory
and simply export that? Will the node still function?

I notice that from the tar man page the -f option will
write to a device on a remote system:

-f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F
use  archive file or device F (default "-", meaning
stdin/stdout)

but how do you set the remote system up (in this case the
server) to allow the tar process access to the device?

Many thanks for your help,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.