Can only open one xterm

I have a problem which is probably easy to solve, but I'm having a hard time
with it.  The problem is that I can only open one xterm/aterm/etc at a time
under X.  If I try to open any more as a user (in group tty) it reports that
I can't get permission to do that.  My permissions seem to be set ok, and even
setting the relevant /dev entries 777 doesn't let it work.  Here's some text
I shunted into a file from my single term window:

**BEGIN**
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        5,   2 Jun 20 19:16 ptmx

/dev/pts/*
crw--w----    1 dude     dude     136,   0 Jun 20 19:17 0

dude@zero:~$ aterm
aterm: can't open slave tty /dev/pts/1
dude@zero:~$ xterm
xterm: Error 1, errno 13: Permission denied
**END**

The system is an unstable Debian system using 2.4.5-ac16 and devfs/devfsd
without the compatability names enabled.  I can open one terminal window, but
no more.  splitvt also fails, I tried that <g>  If I delete .Xauthority and
su to root, root can open however many xterms as desired.  This is a new
installation (wanted to repartition the old).  Restarting devfsd
w/compatability names produces no change.

I'd love to get some help fixing this as I do most of my work in xterms.  TIA
for any help!  This one has me puzzled (and using the console <g>).
--
Andrew W. <dude@failsure.net> -- http://failsure.net/
http://home.cwru.edu/~agw4/ -- Debian GNU/Linux