pon allowing modem to auto redial on disconnect

Hi all,
    Iam using a 56k modem on potato and have set up my modem using
    'pppconfig' and it works great apart from the fact it will not auto
    redial once a connection has been terminated ( as my uk isp only
    allows 2 hrs on line at a time, then i can automatically redial).
    Ive checked the man pages and cannot see any referance to allow auto
    redialing, apart from use 'persistant mode'. Am I to presume that
    this means auto redial ( as in persist - keep trying ), I was using
    RH before and it used to use 'ppp-watch' to check to see if the
    connection was down, then reconnect if it was ( i cannot find that
    comming up when i connect using debian ), as its near on impossable
    to download an iso image at 2hrs at a time when i get home from work
    for 6 hrs, then carry on the followung nite :-(

            Cheers
                    Mark

               Registered Linux User: 208939