Re: Dual processor PIII 866 versus single Pentium 1.4Ghz

Dunno about expert, but I have some experience in this area.  The P4,
having a long pipeline, is more suited to streaming type processing: the
pipeline has to be 'full' before it'll give peak performance.  I think
that most of the s/w that supports the new clever bits in the P4 are
benchmarking packages - not much 'real' software uses the new stuff yet,
and that's why it tends to be slower.

Think about what your application does: is it processing data i.e.
analysing/generating new data, or is it mainly data storage and
retrieval i.e. database or web hosting etc.  If it's analysis type work
then the processor performance could have more impact whereas data
storage/retrieval is mostly about moving data around and unless you can
keep all your data in memory then you'll be held up by the disks.

(If it's an analysis etc. type package, does it support MP?)

Tuning the software to suit the utilisation will probably give a greater
performance increase than the difference between the processors you
mention, although currently I'd plump for the dual PIII.  If dual
Athlons were available, for a reasonable price, I'd choose them.  The
Athlon MP chipset has been released, I believe, but there may be some
issues with the special 460W psu that's required (not sure if you can
get them yet).

SCSI, in theory, requires less cpu overhead than IDE (I've seen some
scsi stuff giving horrendous cpu utilisation - usually a sign
something's wrong though), and supports more devices.  Different
variations give different performance and different number of devices
supported per channel.

Does the AIC-7899 do h/w RAID?  anyway, with only two HDs you can only
mirror them.  Fortunately, s/w mirroring should require less overhead
than the other RAID schemes.

HTH

LeeE