Re: configuring Xircom Realport CardBus Multi-Function Card: RBEM56G-100 under Linux

On Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:09:05 +0200
Waldemar Brodkorb <waldemar.brodkorb@web.de> wrote:

> * Wilson Yau wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am trying to get a Xircom RealPort CardBus multi-function card
> > (10/100 + 56k modem) [model: RBEM56G-100] working under a Dell Latitude
> > CPi R400GT runnning Debian Linux Potato w/ 2.4.4 kernel, but not yet
> > successful. :-(
> > > When I compiled the kernel, I did check the following options/modules:
> > > 1./ General setup --> PCMCIA/CardBus support --> CardBus support &
> >       i82365 compatible bridge support;
> > > 2./ Network device support --> PCMCIA network device support --> Xircom
> >       16-bit PCMCIA support & Xircom Tulip-like CardBus support.
>
> Try this options:
> [*] Support for hot-pluggable devices
> <*> PCMCIA/CardBus support
> [*]   CardBus support
>
> Shit it seems, that the new driver did'nt make it into 2.4.4.
> Try 2.4.4-ac7
> linux-2.4.4$ bzcat ../patch-2.4.4-ac7.bz2 |patch -p1
> <M> Xircom CardBus support (new driver) (NEW)

As I am experiencing similiar difficulties with unstable using 2.4.5, I
presume the new driver you mention (xircom_tulip_cb.o ?) is still not
upstream.

> > When doing  #/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart, got one high beep followed by
> > one very low beep :/)
>
> Forget everything about pcmcia-cs, and use hotplug.
> (delete pcmcia-cs-package, or disable it)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hotplug/

I'm feeling stupid--has this been made clear at the URL mentioned?
The /usr/share/doc/pcmcia-cs/README-2.4 file states:

  The CardBus network drivers (3c575_cb, tulip_cb, epic_cb) have been
  folded into the corresponding PCI drivers using the new "hot plug PCI"
  interface.  The tulip_cb driver has been partially merged into the
  tulip driver ('DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x)', CONFIG_TULIP).  Xircom
  CardBus cards are supported by a separate driver ('Xircom Tulip-like
  CardBus', CONFIG_PCMCIA_XIRTULIP).  The 3c575_cb driver is merged into
  the 3c59x driver ('3C590/3c900 series (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang"
  support', CONFIG_VORTEX).  And the epic_cb driver has been folded into
  the epic100 driver ('SMC EtherPower II', CONFIG_EPIC100).  These
  drivers are not managed by cardmgr; they are managed by the "hotplug"
  subsystem.  See http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net for information
  about this new facility.

And hotplug's htdocs/pci.xml states:

  handle boot-time PCI device configuration through tools
  such as <em>kudzu</em> rather than by an integrated
  hotplugging framework.  Likewise, Cardbus/PCI configuration
  may sometimes be handled by <em>pcmcia_cs</em> tools;
  current versions pcmcia tools defer to PCI hotplug agents.

To me, this indicates pcmcia-cs is supposed to coexist, and certainly
hotplug's control file does nothing to discourage using pcmcia-cs.

> > > It seems that the module detected (CBEM56G) did not match the actual
> > card (RBEM56G-100)?
> > I know drivers support for Xircom card is not still experimental, but it
> > did work before even under a 2.2.14 kernel.
> > > What did I miss?
>
> There's a new driver and a new tool/skript to support
> this card.
> It works without ifconfig promisc, and also very great with
> dhcpclient, if you modify net.agent a little bit.

Could you expand on this somewhat?  2.4 is getting to be pretty
well solidified, but this whole PCMCIA support changeover is not
happening anywhere near gracefully yet.

May the LORD God bless you abundantly!

Dave Craig

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.  You'd better rearrange
your beliefs, then.  Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."

            Athor 77, formulator of the               from _Nightfall_
            Universal Theory of Gravitation             by Asimov/Silverberg