Re: oldtimer pc

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 07:23:28PM +0200, MaD dUCK wrote:
> so i pulled this old 486-33 machine out of the basement, it's got 8Mb
> RAM, a shitty graphics card, and 240Mb of HDD space. it's ISA only,
> but i want to try using an AVM FritzCard and a cheap NE2000 compatible
> to make it be a masquerading router. it's probably going to fail, but
> i want to try anyway.
>
> question is: 2.2.x kernels or 2.4.x? i'd tend for the latter, but i
> don't know is that's harsher on the hardware and needs more space, or
> not...

Either kernel should be fine, though you should really get more ram.
A router in 8 MB ican get ugly :)  I've run 16 MB in my router and was
happier with 32 (my router is a 486/25 old timer with 2 3c509b :)  I'm
running 2.2.19 ATM since netfilter had some issues up to 2.4 3 IIRC.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.