Re: oldtimer pc

| In MaD dUCK's email, 20-06-2001:
| so i pulled this old 486-33 machine out of the basement, it's got 8Mb
| RAM, a shitty graphics card, and 240Mb of HDD space. it's ISA only,
| but i want to try using an AVM FritzCard and a cheap NE2000 compatible
| to make it be a masquerading router. it's probably going to fail, but
| i want to try anyway.
|
| question is: 2.2.x kernels or 2.4.x? i'd tend for the latter, but i
| don't know is that's harsher on the hardware and needs more space, or
| not...

I have a 486SX-25 with 8MB RAM, 320MB HD (only ~120-150 used right
now, 32 swap just for plenty of room), NE2k ISA NIC and ISA modem
(real, not lose^H^H^H^Hwin).  It runs the routing just fine.  It takes
a while to boot up, and the shell (and vim) aren't the most
responsive, but it does it job just fine.  I have 2.2.19 kernel
because its running stable.

-D