./configure of GTK+ fails

Hi,

I am having a problem configuring the latest GTK+. The exact lines are

checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: *** libX11 not found. Check 'config.log' for more
details.

I have the X libs at /usr/X11R6/lib and my ld.so.conf is

/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/libc5-compat
/lib/libc5-compat

This is the xfree package that I have.

rhone:/usr/local/src/pango/gtk+# dpkg -l | grep xfree86
ii  xfree86-common 4.0.3-4        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure

I am stumped by this error. Do I need to have some xfree86-dev package
installed? I am running woody and fairly updated one.

Any help in this will be much appreciated

raj