Re: % with perl

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:35:08PM +0000, Robin Gerard wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 12:56:11PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > try
> >
> > 	perldoc -f each
> > 	perldoc -f keys
>
> ok it's just what I need.
>
> > the camel book and the llama book are both wonderful resources
> > (for perl and for programming in general) at www.oreilly.com
> > Also see http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/ ...
>
> Many thanks to those who give me advices, perl is still
> mysterious for me it's a subtle language not so easy as
> it is said.

perl CAN be easy, just like english can. but with such a rich
syntax and broad vocabulary, they're both widely useful and
powerful in getting their respective jobs done.

complex perl is not likely to be easy at all; just as english
grammar can perplex and distract, so, too, can higher
abstractions of perl.

how many lines of C would you need to do the work of a
single-line script like
	perl -ne '/^\s*#/ && next; (! /\S/) && next; print;' < file
anybody care to guess? C has its place -- a well-written C
program will outrun a well-written perl program almost every day
of the week... but the perl program reaches deployment well
ahead of the C executable. (and of course, perl is written in
C!)

once you know most of it, you'll be amazed at how much power
there is in just a few perl expressions -- which is why mr. wall
created the beast in the first place.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #32 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: