Problem upgrading X

 Once again, I'm having problems upgrading X in potato to the version
 in woody (4.0.3).  Originally I was having problems with the thing of
linking /etc/X11/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xfree86. (because the Xfree86
wasn't
there.)  I was told that I probably needed to install xserver-xfree86.
This was indeed correct, but now I'm getting an error when I try to
install it.  I run "apt-get install xserver-xfree86", and this is what
I get:

Setting up xserver-xfree86 (4.0.3-4) ...
dpkg: error processing xserver-xfree86 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
task-x-window-system-core:
 task-x-window-system-core depends on xserver-xfree86; however:
  Package xserver-xfree86 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing task-x-window-system-core (--configure):
 xserver-xfree86
 task-x-window-system-core

After this, it just dumps me back out at my shell.  I tried to also
install
the task-x-window-system-core, but that depends on this package.  So
I'm
feelin' kind of stuck.  If anyone could toss me a suggestion or two to
gnaw on with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeremy