Re: New Ethernet Card

See notes at bottom....
-Don Spoon-

Sebastiaan wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Adri wrote:
>
> > Don,
> >
> > At 18.19 18/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Adri,
> > >
> > >I saw your message on the Debian-User archived mailing list (which I am
> > >NOT suscribed) and thought I would jump in here.  I am using the 2.2.19
> > >kernel here, and I just did a quick check of my existing, pre-compiled
> > >modules.  There WAS a "dfme.o" module listed there, so your card may
> > >already have a compiled module that will work!  Before going to the
> > >trouble of compiling the stuff that came with the card, take a look at
> > >your /lib/modules/2.2.19-pre17/net/ directory and see if you can find a
> > >"dfme.o" file listed there.  If it is there, then you "should" be able
> > >to make it work by inserting it in the /etc/modules file or by using the
> > >"modconf" program and adding any needed options you may want.
> >
> > Thank you VERY much. The file was there, indeed, but it's called dmfe.o not
> > dfme.o  !  ;)
> That is lucky!
>

> > I edited the /etc/module file and rebooted. Then, /usr/sbin/modconf had it
> > loaded successfully.
> >
> > Then I edited the /etc/network/interfaces. There was a loopback interface
> > in it, I added
> >
> > iface eth0 inet static
> >        address 195.94.135.247
> >        netmask 255.255.255.192
> >        network 195.94.135.192
> >        gateway .. .. ... I don't remember now
> >

> > Then I typed ifup eth0 and I got
> >
> > "SIOCADDRT  network unreachable" error message.
> >
> Try setting up manually:
> # ifconfig eth0 195.94.135.247 netmask 255.255.255.192 up
> # ifconfig eth0
>
> If the card has been set up ok, your cardinfo is displayed here. But I
> think you messed up your netmask and network. Netmask is usually
> 255.255.255.0 here and network is 195.94.135.0.
>
> Now the gateway:
> # route add default gw 195.94.135.192
> (I think this is your gateway).
>
> Look if this works correct, then edit /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Greetz,
> Sebastiaan
>
> > I've looked for the  /etc/init.d/network file but didn't find it.
> >
> > I found /etc/init.d/networking instead but it looks like all different stuff.
> >
> > Now, I wonder: is there something wrong about the ethernet card module OR
> > about the network configurations?
> >
> > Isn't there a way to test the ethernet card ? Maybe I should look in /dev/
> > something ?
> >
> > Thanks so much, anyway.
> >
> > Bye
> > Adri

I fully agree with Sebastiaan.  Unless you are trying to setup a
sub-net, which I know nothing about, you should try the entries
suggested by Sebastiaan.  My install doesn't even have a "network"
entry, and I believe a couple of them are "optional" entries.  There
have been a couple of improvements / versions of the format of the
/etc/nework/interfaces file since it was introduced with Debian
"Potato".  I would suggest you take a look at MAN-page (man interfaces)
to get info on how your version should be setup.
I rely on the "ifconfig" command right after a boot to see if the card
is being recognized and setup.  If it shows an "eth0" interface, then
configuration was successful....maybe not correct, but sucessful.  This
is usually a good sign the hardware is working.

As far as checking out the hardware...I don't have any magic solutions
here.  The usual stuff...See if the link lights on the card are on, see
if the card works with another OS or on another, already configured
machine, etc...

The only other suggestion is to inspect the configuration options on the
info sheet that came with the card.  I recall there were several
"options" (mode=???) lines available to force the card to do certain
things....like running 100Mbs in full duplex, etc.  You might want to
experiment around with adding the appropriate options for your network.
This might improve through-put somewhat depending on your other hardware
and setup.  One "gotcha" here is that some NICs come with multiple
physical interfaces, i.e. a TP port, an AUI port, or a Coax port, and
you sometimes have to tell the card which port to use via one of these
"options".  You can insert these lines either manually, or by using
modconf to add them to the module entry on the second screen.

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-