Re: iPAQ ?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 09:26:21PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> I actually know surprisingly little about what I'm getting, whatever
> version Compaq is handing out to the Oxygen project that they're
> calling "Handy 21's", pretty sure it's a 3650.

Yeah, I think they also include the Mercury jacket.  It's a very cool
add on pack that includes just about everything you can cram in to the
size of an iPaq jacket.  I forget the complete list of features, but I
know that it includes an accelerometer.  With this thing in place,
running the Oxygen distribution, you can flip the iPaq sideways and the
screen will automatically detect this and switch to landscape mode for
the wider display.

> :You really don't want to try installing a full Debian system on an iPaq.
> :There is nowhere near enough space on the thing for it.
>
> Well not full certainly, but according to
> http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/ you can do Debian, though there's no
> clear install procedure.

My guess is that it would be roughly comparable to the Familiar
installation.  Though I really think you'd want a microdrive for
additional storage.  Familiar doesn't even install man pages, yet the
installation took up about 90% of the jffs2 space on my 3650 (note that
I did the "full installation".  I haven't yet pruned away all the extra
junk).  I know that somebody on the 6th floor has a flash card for the
Handy that will install Linux on the thing in something like 3 minutes.
That's definitely better than the 3 hours or so it took me.  I'll see if
I can drag up their email address for you.

> Oh yeh, definately getting that.  I tried for the integrated video
> cam, but apparently there's only six demo models in the world just
> yet, and I don't rank one of those :)

Yeah, that might be part of the Mercury jacket.  I don't know how many
of those are around, but I do think they were developed largely
(specifically?) for Oxygen.

> ipaq login: ssh://noah@debian.lcs.mit.edu
> 			 -or-
> 	    vnc://noah@debian.lcs.mit.edu:1
>
> and without any direct knowlege of you or your account info the ipaq
> could get you connected.

Very cool.  I don't know if anybody's worked much on such a thing.  You
might want to contact John Anckorn <jca@lcs>, one of the faculty who is
working on iPaqs for the Oxygen project.

noah