help: can't print

I don't know how to proceed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is no action at all from my printer no matter what I do in Debian
Linux.

As root,  'cat text_file > /dev/lp0'  hangs but nothing happens at the
printer

my cmos parallel port settings are SSP ( as opposed to EPP,ECP or
EPP&ECP) and port 378,irq7

parport and lp support are compiled in the kernel

the relevant dmesg output is:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP, TRISTATE]
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(10)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(10)
parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 777
lp0: using porport0 (poling).

Am I  right in concluding that there is a problem sending information
out my parralel port as even directly writing to /dev/lp0 doesn't even
print garbage or make printer noises?

How can I narrow down where the problem is? The kernel seems to know
about my parallel port and have the address right.

My printer (epson 777) and cable are OK as they work with windows
booted.

Thanks

Norbert