Re: Debian at Flying J

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 09:53:56PM -0500, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> This worked great, but they said they needed to be able to do remote
> admin. I installed ssh, but they wanted to have X, not the console, and
> they had to be able to do it from windoze.  I decided VNC was my answer,
> so I came up w/ this crude solution:

You'd probably have less hassle from a X for windows solution

> wondering if anyone's ever been able to successfully run X on a TV, and
> what they had to do to their XF86Config file.
>
> The Video cards are ATI XPert@Play if that matters (they have S-Video
> and standard TV outputs).

it seems you have to either compile the vesafb into the kernel
and start up in a tv-friendly mode (and use X3 or X4 fbdev
driver), or use X4's vesa driver. The tvs should be plugged in at
card boot time, and should 'just work'.

Or so I'm told -- I have a radeon, and it's not *that* simple :/

If you're seeing framebuffer console on the tv output, X via
fbdev should be a non brainer.

--
John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Chimenea nueva blanca unos días, y al cabo negra.