Re: Video problem

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:47:13PM +0200, Mirentchu.ETCHETO wrote:

> I can't use the program X.
> When I do the command : X 1>/tmp/me.out 2>&1
> I have the following message: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed.

You should start X with the command "startx", not "X".

You might want to read the XFree86-HOWTO and XWindow-User-HOWTO.  They were
probably installed with Debian.  If not, they're at www.linuxdoc.org.  You
might also read around at www.debian.org/doc/.

> When I do the command: xviddetect
> It answers that I have not the right driver for my video card.

Sounds as if you haven't correctly installed the X Window System.

> When I do the commant: lspci
> I can see my video card: VGA compatible controller ATI Technologie Inc =
> 3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x (rev 64)

lspci just says what the PCI bus has detected.  It says nothing about what
software is installed on  your system.

> uname -a : lunix 2.2.17
> libc6: 2.1.3-10

Stable is currently installing 2.2.19pre17.  You might want to run (as root)

	apt-get update
	apt-get upgrade

if you have apt installed.

> What can I do to use the X environment ?

Read the Installation Guide at www.debian.org and the HOWTO and you should
be fine.

I see that you're posting from France, but your name looks Japanese to me.
Note that there are Japanese and French mailing lists for Debian, and
projects to translate the documentation.

I hope that helps.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum