Re: sawfish, testing, unstable

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 10:35:57PM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:
> So the solution I am currently contemplating is: (i) upgrading to the
> version of apt in testing (so as to have the `preferences' utility
> especially), (ii) upgrading selectively to testing, and then (iii)
> installing the version of sawfish from unstable. I don't use gnome,
> and so I was hoping that the dependency difficulties that seem to have
> delayed sawfish's introduction into testing would not apply.

> Does anyone know of a reason why this would not work, or of a reason
> why it might be a bad idea? I'd be really grateful for any advice.

You may not have to bother with upgrading your apt. Why can't you change
your sources to unstable, apt-get update, apt-get install sawfish, let it
find the key parts to upgrade or install, and then go back to your preferred
branch in your sources, and then apt-get update again afterwards?

I did this a while back and don't remember having any problems. I don't
think there are dependencies with GNOME via sawfish. There is a
sawfish-gnome version, but that wouldn't pertain to you.

Steve