Re: [users] Re: Why can't I?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 07:44:32AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
| On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:14:35PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
| > |
| > | wrong, debian creates home directories mode 755, world readable by
| > | default like all other *nixes that have come before it.
| >
| > Why would all other *nixes default to being insecure?  I don't know
| > where it is set (possibly by the admin after using useradd), but the
| > home directories on the Solaris system at school are not world
| > readable unless one makes theirs so.
|
| Can you explain why world readable home dirs are considered insecure
| by default?

It seems natural to me that my home dir is my own private property.
Kind of like having your own room or a clubhouse as a kid, with a sign
"Keep Out" on the door.  Making it world readable seems like leaving
the door open, then wondering why someone is able to snoop about ;-).

| If you can't I suggest you retract your assertion that all unices
| are insecure by default (you possibly could argue that if
| you weren't claiming this was because of world readable home dirs :)

I don't mean that unix in general is insecure, but that in this
particular aspect it seems to be.

| Consider that your having the ability to read and execute my home dir
| does not necessarily confer the ability to read the files within that
| directory.

This is a good point, though I still don't know why the default would
allow someone else to use 'ls' on my home.

| Are you sure the "Solaris system at school" has not had its config
| tweaked at all after it was installed?

I did mention that I don't know what method the admin uses to create
the accounts and if it was the system or the admin that set the home
dirs to not-world readable.

<quote from above>
(possibly by the admin after using useradd)
</quote>

I wasn't really complaining, just curious.  I am certain that there is
some history buried in here, like a great deal of other features in
Unix.

-D