telnet

Hi All,
I'm trying to setup a telnet daemon on a box running stable (I know, and
I want to use ssh but the software we're using only knows about telnet.
It's a private lan too so I'm not too concerned.).  I've set everything
up so inetd should spawn the telnet daemon but when I try to connect I
get this error message:

dixon@rowling:~$ telnet pig1
Trying 172.16.1.153...
Connected to pig1.seranoa.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
telnetd: getpty: No such file or directory
.
Connection closed by foreign host.
dixon@rowling:~$

I assume there is some problem spawning a getty for this session but I
don't know what's going on.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy
--
Andrew D. Dixon