Re: Any Clearcase users on Debian?

%% Regarding Any Clearcase users on Debian?;
%% Nico De Ranter <nico@sonycom.com> writes:

  ndr> I'm trying to get Clearcase (huge, expensive code revision
  ndr> system) to work on Debian but I can't get the mvfs module to
  ndr> load. Has anybody tried this before? and succeeded?  Please don't
  ndr> tell me to revert to Redhat 6.2 :-(

I've been using ClearCase 4.1 on Debian since it was released last
November.  Works fine.

There are a number of issues to consider:

 0) Be sure you have all the latest patches: most particularly patches
    11 and 12.  Before that, ClearCase on Linux (even Red Hat) was not
    so stable.

 1) ClearCase only supports Linux kernels 2.2.14-2.2.16.  To be precise,
    they only officially support the Red Hat versions of those kernels.
    I have used ClearCase with the Linux 2.2.17 kernel, but others have
    reported problems.

    ClearCase MVFS will _NOT_ work with any kernel prior to 2.2.14 (why
    would you want to? :) or later than 2.2.17 (the NFS changes
    introduced in 2.2.18 change the filesystem module interface
    sufficiently that MVFS won't work).

    I have used the vanilla kernels from www.kernel.org with ClearCase
    and they worked fine, but what I did to be extra-safe was go to the
    Red Hat site and get their kernel sources package for the Red Hat
    7.0 kernel (2.2.16-22, in Red Hat-speak).  This is 2.2.16 plus a lot
    of patches Red Hat applied.  Remember that, as with Debian's kernel
    source packages, this is a regular RPM not an SRPM.  Then I used
    rpm2cpio to unpack it, and built it and installed it using Debian
    make-kpkg etc.

 2) You have to edit /etc/issue to fool the ClearCase installer into
    thinking that you are running Red Hat; add something like "Red Hat
    version 7.0" to /etc/issue when installing--but be sure to take it
    out again after so people don't think you're really running Red Hat!
    :)

 3) You must also apply Rational's small kernel patch as described in
    the ClearCase release notes, and install the MVFS code before you
    build the kernel.

    Also be sure the various kernel module settings are correct, as
    described in the release notes, and that you have picked the MVFS
    module to be built when you're in the kernel filesystems config
    menu.  And of course you need NFS enabled.

 4) You don't say what version of Debian you're using, but note that
    ClearCase wants GLIBC 2.1.3 (as shipped on Red Hat 6.2/7.0).  I was
    using "testing", and upgraded my GLIBC to 2.2.1 with no problems.

    However, last month when I upgraded to GLIBC 2.2.3, the ClearCase
    albd_server stopped working :(.  It comes up fine and goes into a
    select() wait for connections, but no clients can connect to it.
    Very weird.

    What I did was to unpack a copy of the Debian potato libc6 2.1.3 DEB
    in a different directory, then play games with ld.so to have the
    ClearCase programs use that libc instead of my standard system
    libc.  It took a bit of hacking but it works fine now.  Let me know
    if you need more details.

    If you stay with Debian potato you won't have to mess with this.

Finally, if you have an extra system lying around I strongly suggest you
install Red Hat 6.2 or 7.0 on it, then install ClearCase there.  If you
run into any issues you should verify that they exist on the Red Hat
system as well before reporting them as bugs to Rational: Rational does
not officially support any version of Linux other than Red Hat.  This
system doesn't have to be anything special; just use that P100 doorstop
you have lying around :).  CheapBytes will sell you a CD with RH 6.2 or
7.0 on it for $5 or less.

HTH.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools