am-utils not working

I'm trying to get amd (in am-utils) working but no matter what I
do (things which work on other distributions) I can't get it
working. I can't even get the expected pidXXX@host:/map mount to
appear in the mount table. Nothing unusual shows up in syslog.

Is there something I need to compile into the kernel that the
NFS client (which works) doesn't need ?

Sample config I've used:

[ global ]
normalize_hostnames =   no
print_pid =             yes
pid_file =              /var/run/amd.pid
restart_mounts =        yes
auto_dir =              /.automount
#log_file =             /var/log/amd
#log_file =             syslog
log_options =           all
#debug_options =        all
plock =                 no
selectors_on_default =  yes
print_version =         no
# set map_type to "nis" for NIS maps, or comment it out to search for all
# types
map_type =              file
search_path =           /etc
browsable_dirs =        yes
show_statfs_entries =   no
fully_qualified_hosts = no
cache_duration =        300

[ /users ]
map_name =              amd.users
map_type =              file

--- amd.users ---

/defaults       type:=nfs;rhost:=nfshost;rfs:=/users/${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,vers=2,proto=udp,nosuid,nodev

--
"The administration I'll bring is a group of men and women who
are focused on what's best for America, honest men and women,

Are we talking about people or dogs ?