gz viewer and sound problem

1.- Is there any file manager I can use to view .gz or tar.gz the way winrar or winzip does in gnome?
2.- When I am running xmms together with gnotepad+ usually gnotepad+ stops running until I kill xmms. I suppose
this is because gnotepad+ requires somehow to play some sound and finds something else is using it. A similar problem
happened to me when I had sounds set on the X window and tried to play any song until I deactivated the X window sound.
I don´t want to apply this "solution" once again:). Please help.

Thanks a lot in advance.