OT: Plucker with Potato

I probably committed a major Debian Faux-Pax by editing my source file
to temporarily point at the testing release to allow me to install
plucker.  That is, with testing (rather than stable) in my source file
I,

apt-get update
apt-get install plucker

To my surprise, no conflicts were indicated and plucker installed.

I've even plucked a few sites, and wow, this is a useful package for me.

Unfortunately, no images are being displayed on my pilot. I believe this
may be due to the older version of netpbm in potato. Also, Zlib
compression is missing from the viewer.

I would like to obtain the functionality of viewing images on my pilot
and Zlib compression. I'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion on how
to overcome this dilemma.

I've considered attempting to compile from sources. However, I am
definitely a bit of a neophyte and it takes me so long to get things
working, I worry about breaking them. For instance, I definitely fear
screwing up the installed package list.

Suggestions would be appreciated,
Barry