Re: Wanted: apt-changes tool

Graham Williams <Graham.Williams@cmis.csiro.au> wrote:
>Is there such a thing as a tool for debian that looks at a current
>installation and compares it to what's available (via whatever
>sources.list is pointing to) and summarises the changes.

apt-listchanges is very close to this, but hooks into apt to describe
changes that are about to be made by the packages you've downloaded. You
can also use it on an individual .deb file.

>Then, I would like to give the name of a particular package and it
>will summarise changes made to the package from the version installed
>to the version available. This information is perhaps cached somewhere
>on the net since it goes in debian-devel-changes mailing list?

Nowhere that's convenient to get at automatically, but if the
archive-wide lintian runs can be fixed then it might be possible for
apt-listchanges to do this.