Optimizing libc6 et al...

Hi,

after reading some recent posts about apt-get -b source and
pentium-builder, I'm toying with the idea of optimizing the hell out
of my ppro system.

Brief testing of a rebuild of the sysutils package got me a 6%
decrease in the time to run memtest (I picked this because it takes a
non-trivial amount of time and reports this time, also if it broke I'd
barely notice).  I wouldn't stand too firmly behine the 6% figure as
it only compares one run of the stock binary with one run of the newly
built sources...

Anyway, my question is has anyone replaced system libraries using
apt-get -b source?

Seems like this would be the most bang for the buck as it were, but
also the greatest risk.

TIA,
Jon