voodoo trouble - sanity is at stake here.

hey all,

my girlfriend asked me to fix something on her computer, and i'm at a loss...

she has a voodoo3 / woody / X 4.0

hardware acceleration is obviously working for root (gears looks great, and
independent of window size; quake3 looks great).   it's obviously NOT working
for non-root users (gears is sloooow.  quake3 is painful).

when X boots (even as non-root), everything looks nice and healthy.  i get the
"DRI enabled" message.   yet, it's obvious that something isn't going right
for non-root users.

i'm at a loss here.  X looks good.  voodoo is good under root.  you don't
need a kernel module for non-root acces of the X4 voodoo boards.  i don't
think anything needs to be setuid.

what else is there to check?!?

pete