Re: Re. Total Confusion

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 01:11:37PM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
> This is a response to Lance Simmons.
>
> When I reinstalled Debian yesterday, I installed the modules in the order
> that you give: parport, parport_pc, and lp. After each I got the message
> "installation succeeded". Is there any point in going through the insmod
> sequence?

By "installed", I assume you mean installed while going through
the floppy disk installation procedure. That's not what I'm
talking about.

All you know from the installation procedure is that you now
_have_ the modules available and that you _can_ load those
modules (hence the "installation succeeded"), but you still need
to actually _load_ them when you boot up. So far as I've heard,
you haven't given us any evidence that they're in fact loaded.

"lsmod" will tell you what modules you currently have loaded. If
parport, parport_pc and lp are loaded, unload them, reload them,
and report the messages (use dmesg to read the messages--they
should be the most recent ones). What do they tell you when they
get loaded? Until you know that, you can't know whether your
kernel knows that there's a printer there.

>From what I've heard so far, it's not clear that the appropriate
modules have ever been loaded into your kernel.

--
  .~.
  /v\   Lance Simmons