potato and Vim 5.8

I've dl'd the Vim 5.8 sources, unpacked them, and compiled via
"deb-make && dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot". All went well, except
that I can't install the .deb because my potato Gtk is too old. How
can I upgrade painlessly, or compile for my potato Gtk version? I
assume the problem is libgtk1.2-dev 1.2.7-1, but am not sure.

Second question, it should be possible to pass command line options to
deb-make or dpkg-buildpackage? I'd like to compile like for example
"make --enable-max-features".

A. B.                                        [andre.berger@topmail.de]