Re: line numbers in code

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:02:22AM -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:
| D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:
|
| > Naw, (g)vim is much better <wink>
| >
| > (I have tried emacs, and that is my conclusion,  now go make your own
| > after trying both)
|
| Sure... does (g)vim include Tetris?  Or a text adventure?  Or a shrink
| to help your mind cope with the constant mode changes?

If I want to play tetris, I'll play tetris.  If I want to write code
I'll use a text editor <grin>.  ((g)vim does come with hanoi and life,
btw, but I haven't tried them).  If I want to read mail I'll use a MUA
(mutt).  If I want to mess with my filesystem I'll use a shell.

The mode changes aren't a problem once you use it for a while -- it
comes naturally.  Just ilke pressing Esc half a dozen times per
command comes naturally to you <wink>.

| How anyone could tolerate something as unuseful as vim is beyond me.

I think it is very useful.  Obviously this is a biased opinion :-).

Another great side effect of using (g)vim is the vastly shorter
startup time.

Can emacs on a floppy (including all the syntax highlighting I
actually use) to take to less fortunate machines (usually windoze
boxen^H^H^H^H^Hpaperweights)?  Can you extend emacs with Python code?
(or Perl or Tcl if you prefer?)  (and no, vim can't be extended with
elisp AFAIK :-))

(I'm just teasing you, while possibly providing some truthful
information for other users who don't know the varying featuresets)

-D