Re: "boot" diskette

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 05:46:41PM -0500, Rob Zietlow wrote:
> What is the easiest way to make a boot diskette to install on a computer
> that is an ancient dinosaur that doesn't allow you to boot off of the CD?  I
> know RH had one, and I tried the Debian boot diskettes, but the one image it
> said was too big to fit onto a floppy.  Did I do this wrong? (one
> possibility)  or is there another way to go about it.  This computer isn't
> very big, so I like Debian nice small install instead of RH's bloatware

You can do a network install or a floppy install.  If you go the network
route which would be much easier you will need 6 floppies.
Read the installation instructions at -
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/#new-inst

You can find the floppy images at -
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/
assuming your using i386 architecture and 1.44 MB floppies and you want
the stable release.  Course use the mirror closest to you.

If you want to go the route of full floppy install you will need all 17
images.
hth,
kent

--