Re: upgrade doubt

You can do it one of two ways - download the packages and then dpkg -i gimpsomethingorotherversionnumber.deb, repeat for gnome.  Or, you can edit your /etc/sources.list to point to either testing or unstable (replace the word 'potato' with 'testing' or 'unstable' - don't us the ''), depending on what version you're after - this way will also upgrade packages that gimp and gnome depend on, but I would recommend not doing this if the versions of Gimp and Gnome that you're after are in the unstable distro.  This might upgrade a large number of your packages to unstable, which, as its name implies, is not very stable.  If the versions are in the testing distro, you should be fine.

Good luck,
Steve