Re: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI - module loads, but no sound...

Hi,

Hugo van der Merwe <hugovdm@mail.com> writes:
[snip]
> and the mixer appears to work (I used gom -it), but when I try to play
> something (an mp3 with mpg123, a wav or .au with sox's "play", esd's
> test by simply running "esd"), the relevant program "freezes" and no
> sound comes out. (By "freezes" I mean it doesn't have any progress -
> it is not the case that they are playing but the sound is muted.)

Try

  $ fuser -v /dev/dsp

It'll show you the program that has currently opened the sound device.

Most likely, you have 'esd' running as part of your Gnome session.
To fix,

  - run all your audio apps in ESound mode
  - disable "Startup Sound Server" in your Gnome control panel

- Hari