Re: adding Windoze

    Hello Glenn,

What I did on my last couple of bench-boxes was install whatever linux
flavor I was pounding on at the time, but when it comes time to "partition
the hard drive" I would add a 1-2GB fat32 partition along with usual swap,
boot and root partitions. It worked very nicely. I would let lilo write the
new mbr then go in later a build a boot disk. I have had up to 5 running
OS's on the box at a time (purely for sport).

When you do get around to installing windoz, simply run format and it will
find the only readable dos partition and format it. run your usual install,
and it will do a nice job of killing the mbr.

Now just put in your floppy and boot off of it, when you have linux up again,
re-run lilo after you add the new DOS lines to your /etc/lilo.conf. I alwasy
add these lines:

prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
default=linux
(then I add new boot info for Windoz at the end)
other=/dev/hdaX    (where X is your partition wid windoz)
	label=dos

Now you have dual-boot and lilo is running the show, not windoz.

Remember, just in case, backups are good.

hth

--

Jaye Inabnit, ARS ke6sls     e-mail: ke6sls@arrl.net
707-442-6579 h/m                     707-268-4074